June 21 is the official start of summer, which means most of you will be breaking out the swimmies, surf boards and beach umbrellas to get ready for vacation. While you’re busy running around, don’t forget to prepare your home for vacation too. There are many important security and property measures to take prior to leaving for your summer destination.
Be Safe, Not Sorry:
- Make your house look lived-in to avoid burglaries, like stopping the newspaper or getting a friend to pick up your mail.
- Check all locks on doors and windows and turn on the security system.
- Leave on a security light while turning off the remaining lights.
- Alert your credit card company that you will not be in town.
- Leave emergency contact information with a friend.
Prep Your Property for Vacay:
- Unplug smaller appliances and electrical devices.
- Turn off water valves to the sink and appliances, such as the dishwasher and washing machine.
- Set the water heater to “vacation mode” so that it runs less and saves energy.
- Set the thermostat to 85 degrees, but no hotter to protect your furniture, plants and pets.
- Run your kitchen sink disposal with vinegar or lemon to remove unwanted scents.
- Take out the trash and get rid of perishable food.
We hope these simple tips will assist you in feeling at ease about leaving your house and allow you to fully enjoy your 2015 vacation. If you experience any property damage caused by water, fire, mold or storms, Call Paul! We’re available 24/7 for all of your restoration, reconstruction and remodeling needs.